Guild Milestones

WoWProgress

WorldofLogs

WednesdayThursdayFridaySaturdaySundayMondayTuesday
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
chadddada
Elite Member

re: The Wheel of Time

I am on book 8 currently. The final book is supposed to be released in November I think so if you read all the books a while ago, and need to hear the final ending to this story, you should catch up now.

The story is dragging a bit for me right now so I am trying to slog through because I know there is a bunch of good stuff coming and I really want to hear what the co-author has to say.
Kauket0
Retired Guild Master
Very much in Denial

It took until book 8 to drag? I started getting annoyed after the 3rd, though I was still a pretty avid fan until 7ish. I will likely be getting the final books and giving it a straight read-through.

Sanderson's a pretty decent author--great at ideas, weaker at characterization, fair writing. Am interested in seeing how he carries it out, as Jordan started a fantastic world and did some great character development. Jordan just direly needed someone to smack him back on track and cut the wordiness by half.

Also a little skeptical about the Nov release date as Sanderson didn't get his first draft in until Feb this year. I'll probably start the reread about a month before the confirmed release--should be about the right timing for me.

Very much in Denial

Oh, and here's an interesting companion to your WoT reread:

http://www.tor.com/features/series/wot-reread?WT.mc_id=0

The couple I've spot checked were pretty interesting commentary.

Worthwhile Contributor

Kauket0 wrote:
It took until book 8 to drag? I started getting annoyed after the 3rd, though I was still a pretty avid fan until 7ish. I will likely be getting the final books and giving it a straight read-through.

I loved this series sooo much until book 4 - 5. They just killed the series and in a fashion all series reading for me. Since I stopped reading (Book 7) I haven't been able to read any series including my beloved Drizzt series. I bought the Lone Drow when it came out and still haven't been able to finish it.

The only series I've successfully read in all that time (15 years) has been Harry Potter because the whole family was into it and the Lord of the Rings series. That last one was because I felt guilty for never reading it.
chadddada
Elite Member

Stalled out on book 8. My wife has pushed on to finish the books that are out. She said the last 2 pick back up again, really keeping her interested. The final book to close it all out is due out in November I think so I would ideally like to read that as soon as it comes out.
chadddada
Elite Member

Update: I am up to Knife of Dreams now. It's pretty decent right now and is only supposed to continue building up from what I understand.
chadddada
Elite Member

I have completed Book 12, The Gathering Storm. On to book 13, The Tower of Midnight.

What can be said about book 12 other than wow... Brandon Sanderson does not disappoint. While reading through this massive series you do grow to love the characters. It is nice to see them evolving and changing, but still remaining themselves. Sanderson's writing does not detract from this series.

It did seem like a daunting task to work through these books to get answers but honesty, I am starting to get a bit sad there there will be an end. When will the end come? January 8th http://www.dragonmount.com/Books/Memory_of_Light/index.php The last book of this 14 book series will be released. I don't know if I will ever read another series this epic... but I do know that I will read this one again down the road.
Scarny
Council
Elite Member

Based on some of what you guys have said and a recommendation from my brother-in-law I started reading The Eye of the World and am almost finished. There was only one part where I thought it dragged and I hoped that it didn't continue like that for too much longer. But once I got through that part it picked back up and I've really enjoyed it.

I'll probably be finishing it tonight and then I will have to wait until after Christmas to start the 2nd, since I'm pretty sure i'm getting it as a gift.

Not sure who reads this thread and hasn't read this book series so I'm putting the spoiler tag on it. The part that dragged for me was:

Spoiler (Click To Show):
When they were all separated and Rand and Mat were on the road between Whitebridge and Caimlyn. I'm not sure what it was about it but it just didn't feel like there was a lot going on other than walking and playing at Inns as if they were Gleemen.
Once they finally got to Caimlyn it seemed to pick back up and I was excited again to plow through a bunch of pages. But those few chapters, ugh.

Not that that ties in with what you were talking about Scarn, but there is also a prequal book before that. I was happy to have read that book first as it deals with Moraine and Swan when they got to the tower.

Insights as to why that was in the book Scarn, shouldn't spoil.

Spoiler (Click To Show):
Having made my way through most of the series now I think that that content is important because of a couple of reasons. 1. To set a base as to how much stuff will change. These are very simple times with simple men. 2. To discuss the sickness that mat has from the dagger (continued importance).
Scarny
Council
Elite Member

By Swan do you mean Lan? The warder? Or is this somebody else that I overlooked in the first book.

The one thing that I've been the most intrigued about is some of the stuff that would have led up to this book and stuff about Moraine and Lan. Perhaps I should read that next.

I assumed the series ran in chronological order so I just picked up Eye of the World since it said it was book one.

Hmmm I won't say anymore about Siuan (swan) then... An important character. I thought she was mentioned in that book. But yeah that book before the one you are reading has a lot of information about Moraine/Lan/Swan. It takes place 20 years before the book you are reading now. It was an after the fact prequel (think Star Wars) and has a lot of good building information. Without New Spring I may have been a bit lost or it may have just been a steeper start to the series.
Kauket0
Retired Guild Master
Very much in Denial

It's fine to start with Eye of the World. I didn't find the prequels added much.

Elite Member

Kauket0 wrote:
It's fine to start with Eye of the World. I didn't find the prequels added much.

DON'T YOU HAVE A HEART! Didn't it make you care about the characters more?! Ha.
chadddada
Elite Member

Well... Book 12 and 13 just flew by. Man were they ever so good! Countdown to the FINAL book is on. January 8th is the release date for book 14. There is sooooo much that needs to be answered in this book I am stressing.
nbcaffeine
Council
Internet Dragon Slayer

Book 14 drops tmw! Unless you're reading it on a kindle or similar, then it's April 9. How that for some shit?

At least the audible version is out on time...
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Denial Forum Index -> Books All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: